Sunday, March 18, 2012

Narrowness of Expectation

There was a nifty little summary of recent creativity research in The Wall Street Journal last weekend. The information wasn't new to somebody well-versed in the field, but it did distill a common theme that emerges from a number of these independent investigations. You can't think too hard when you're trying to come up with a new idea. Focused thought seems to rely on established patterns and connections. There is not likely to be much novelty in those well-trod paths. Attentive day-dreaming, where you may get your mind going down a particular track before sending it on its way, mines a richer vein of potential associations. Some crazy idea that would be rejected outright when you're critically evaluating every new idea could get a little traction and spin off in a new direction.

I spend too much of my time sitting at my desk and looking out the window. People have come to see me when I'm in one of these moments. I look idle, staring off into space, but I'm actually hard at work. It may not look like it, but these are my most productive moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment