Monday, April 12, 2010

How I spend my time at work

My job is boring. Well, my job isn't boring, but I am frequently bored at work. That's what I learned by trying to cut back on my electronic distractions. I don't turn to email, Google Reader, and sites like changethis.com because I'm avoiding work. I check those things out because I don't have anything else to do! This is likely a temporary situation, the work tends to come in ebbs and flows, but with the big reorg announcement coming any day now, I really don't know what my day will be like once all of the changes have been implemented.

I actually hope that I still have this empty time in my day. I try to use it constructively (as opposed to spending all day idling reading news stories or chatting with other bored co-workers). My free time gives me a chance to look for answers to interesting problems that come up in our development projects or pursue some "personal development" activities. I used some of my empty time this afternoon to read a few pages from my latest book acquisition, Scientific Genius. The book is a lengthy discussion of Simonton's chance configuration theory of scientific insights. I was attracted to this theory for two reasons 1) I am looking for ways to foster a more innovative environment at work, and 2) the theory justifies my decision to follow my curiosity where ever it may lead. I have read several papers, articles, and book chapters about innovative thinkers. Intellectual curiosity is a prominent theme in all of them. I think finding a way to be a little more innovative in my thinking is a good way to spend an hour or so of my work day.

No comments:

Post a Comment