Friday, February 18, 2011

Progress

I've been going to the gym at lunch a couple of times a week during my lunch break for about a month. This is in addition to the one workout I get in over the weekend. I'm starting to see real progress. I feel stronger on the rowing machine and when I lift. I did 10 pull-ups in a row today. I could have done more. I should be able to do 20 (assuming I keep going to the gym, of course) before the end of the year with no problem. I took a shot at seeing where I was in my 1000 m on the rowing machine, but I went out too hard and lost my steam with 200 m to go. It didn't go well, but it made me realize that I need to do an occassional interval workout if I'm going to get better at the shorter distances. Just rowing 5000 m three times a week won't get it done.The rowing workouts have also given me an appreciation for small but consistent increases in effort. Cutting a few seconds off of my 5000 time requires me to work hard for the entire distance. I can't just go all out at the end and make up for slacking earlier in the piece.

While I'm getting stronger, the extra working out has increased my appetite. I've been eating to much and drinking too much beer on the weekend. My mom is taking my kids on Saturday night. I will drink too much beer again this weekend. Oh well. I'll make the decision to eat more carefully soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment