Saturday, January 14, 2012

Step One

I wanted to start the year with an ambitious and audacious goal, but the more I thought about setting a goal, the more I wondered why I should spend my year pursuing something that sounded like a good idea way back in January. Besides, too many of my goals feel more tactical than strategic. They give me the impression that I'm staying on top of my business, but very little in the way of change seems to happen when I manage to achieve one.

I tend to set up my goals as little projects that distract me and keep me busy by using skills that I already possess in slightly different contexts. My law school application cycle is a good example. It took a year of my time and not an insignificant amount of money, but taking tests and writing essays are things that I can already do well. The exercise simply confirmed that I was good at those things. My MBA classes have given me better insights into the relationship of R&D to the rest of the organization, but I have not developed new skills while taking those classes. School was an easy development choice for me because it is virtually risk free. Taking classes does not challenge my limits or push me toward The Edge. There is nothing scary about it. That's pretty true of most of the goals that I pursue with any kind of enthusiasm. 

So I want to make purposeful steps towards something Unreasonable. Applying the tips and tricks that I pick up in my readings is worthwhile, but to what end am I applying those skills? Why bother? I've been talking about the flaws in my organization for well over a year. It's time to be a leader and do something to change it. It's time to stop playing by the rules. It's time to stop treading water and work to make meaningful change. I know the position that I want. I'm going to ask for it. I know the role that I desire. I'm going to take it. I know that I'm sick of being what I've been. It's time to make that change.

No comments:

Post a Comment