Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Trying to get unstuck

Things are working in the lab. My creative energies are going in that direction rather than bleeding off as blog posts or Amazon reviews. It's either that or I'm just too tired to collect the rash of good ideas clamoring for my attention. I blame my mental fecundity on reading too many books and papers about creativity. A big audacious essay on the topic is trying to get out of me, but every time I sit down to write it, nothing comes out. Choosing to start with a blog post is probably not a good idea. There's too much pressure to come up with something formed and developed if I'm going to post something on the blog. I thought reviewing Creativity would be a good place to start, but that's no good either. I need at least an hour to write a good review. I spent too much time checking on the progress of an experiment to give myself enough time tonight.

These ideas may be the core of something that I can build on. I don't want to just drop them haphazardly and lose the coherence of my thinking. I need to take time to develop my thinking. Sort some things out. Figure out what I really want to say.

As practice, here's an idea that I had while walking down the stairs at work. I've noticed a shift in how I consume books, music, or papers (the main ingredients of my cultural diet). In the past, the book or music was always very external. It was something that existed outside of me that could be studied or understood. My emphasis was on understanding how it related to other works more than pulling the ideas and feelings of that work into my experience matrix. Where I used to merely passively observe, I have started to actively ingest what I read or hear. It's like my ability to incorporate experience into my being has been amplified. By reviewing it, I'm taking it deeper. Making it more meaningful.

That's just one idea. There are many others...

No comments:

Post a Comment