Monday, January 14, 2013

Practice what you preach

When I'm not sitting in front of my computer, I'm pretty fluent in generating ideas for blog posts. I can come to my computer with a good idea laid out only to see it wither away as soon as the blank post page loads up. Those sentences that sounded so good in my head lose their allure. Insights that held some heft lose their punch. Is this rapid evacuation of meaning the consequence of shining the harsh light of external consideration onto internal thoughts or is it just a way for me to spare myself judgement?

All too often I close my computer before I've written anything. The posts that make it our of the draft stage are those that come easily. I get going and the ideas flow. The two posts that I wrote around the election were like that. I sat down, wrote, and published. A few others came about just to get something out there. Just produce something. Rather than consume, consume, consume, produce something. Maybe its a touch banal or trite, but getting something out there is a choice. It's taking action rather than sitting back and letting events and circumstance make my decision for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment