Friday, March 22, 2013

Release

I was struggling a bit during my run today. I was pushing it, trying to run my planned pace for a 10K that is three weeks away. I was trying to get a feel for where I am physically (and mentally). I was about 4 miles in when I reminded myself to just let go of the effort and the pushing and trying that I was doing and just surrender.

Rather than telling myself to hang tough or focusing on how far I've gone or trying to distract myself with music, I imagine myself drawing energy from the sun or the friction of the air against my skin. Freeing myself from the responsibility to keep pushing makes it easier to just plod along. When I did this today, I felt better after a few minutes and finished my run at race pace.

It's like just letting go while struggling with a complicated problem. Sometimes the best ideas come when you stop trying to force it. Trying harder can hurt your performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment