Thursday, May 9, 2013

Rejecting expectations

How do I work for myself while working for a massive company?

After years of struggling to figure out how to balance my desire to do my own thing in the context of a large enterprise, that may be the closest I've ever come to putting my finger on a plan. The wrinkle in that statement is what I mean by "working for myself." That small phrase represents an effort to make my work meaningful. That means that I have to define my role and contribution (to reject the expectations and role that others in the organization want to give me) and pursue every possible opportunity to realize that role. It's not about pursuing organizational rewards. Sure, I could probably get a job in that new group that's going to get all the attention, but I won't be able to do meaningful work (at least the kind of work that I find meaningful) in that role.


No comments:

Post a Comment