Saturday, March 21, 2020

Thoughts on Covid 19

I just want to take a few minutes to capture some thoughts on the current COVID 19 crisis. I'm well on my way to acceptance of the challenges and changes that this virus will bring to my life. I was angry and scared of what was coming a week ago. Getting enough food in the house was a primary concern. Running out of food while being lock in was a very frightening idea. I've been buying food all week. We have a bunch of food, not really meals food, but enough stuff around to keep us from going hungry if things get cut off. 

I've moved beyond that initial fear. I know this isn't going to be a short term inconvenience. I've read a couple of papers on social distancing. It's not a very complicated idea. Control the spread of a virus by keeping people separated. It's the only tool a government has to protect the capacity of the healthcare system. It's never really been tested. It's a theory. We're living in an epidemiological experiment. It's going to be a month or two. Things are going to be very intense in the big cities. It will seem like much ado about nothing in most of the country. 

I've decided that I will emerge from this crisis stronger. It would be easy to give into the disjointing shift that the response to this virus has brought to everyone's life. Restaurants are closed. Stores are closing. My favorite breweries have turned to delivery to keep their businesses going. We've never really faced a period of deprivation. It's coming. The getting whatever we want as soon as we want it infrastructure is taking a bit of a vacation. It's going to be reduced choices, making due with what we have on hand, and just getting through to the other side. 

What things look like on the other side is the most terrifying part. The world is changing. Nobody has any idea of what it will look like on the other side of this mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment