Friday, November 5, 2010

The bittersweet thrill of a library book sale

I spent $10 at the VCU Friends of the Library book sale last week. That got me three hardback books, three paperbacks, and 4 comics. I made a really nice find of an organizational behavior book, The Social Psychology of Organizations. That book is going for $50 on Amazon. I paid $2 for it. I've already read one of the books, The Ideological Origins of the American Revolution, but I've wanted my own copy for awhile. I won't add these books to my book list. I save that for books that I buy new (which I have also been doing).

Finding good books cheap is always a thrill, but when I see all of these books that were once cherished and displayed in book cases being discarded for next to nothing, I feel a pange of angst about my own mortal coil. Will my books end up in a book sale when I die? I have always had this notion that my kids will cherish my books just as much as I do. That's not really fair to them. I'm sure they'll develop their own tastes in books. Who's to say that it will overlap with mine. Maybe I just need to develop a network of fellow book lovers as I mature. I would rather slowly give my books away as I get older rather than leave it to my kids to dump them on a library for cheap disposal.

No comments:

Post a Comment