Thursday, January 9, 2014

Feeling safe? Beware!

Safety is a short step from irrelevance.

The Edge is about stepping away from safety. Progress only comes when we're willing to stop sticking with what we're familiar with to try something new. The routine reassures us with its familiarity. It feels safe because it feels we know it so well. That sense of security is dangerous. It lulls us into complacency.

A few months ago my wife told me she could tell that I was feeling safe in our relationship again (this would be after a cycle of conflict) because I would regress to my previous behavior. That security was a very real threat to our relationship. Too many people feel safe at work when they're working on the thing that they've always done the same way they were taught to do it. Change implies risk and risk is scary, even when change is needed to stay relevant.


No comments:

Post a Comment