Monday, December 30, 2013

Will these be the metrics I use to guide my team?

Problems Solved, Questions Answered, and Opportunities Identified feel like clunky metrics, but I can't come up with any better measures for my team's performance at the moment. I want something to measure our progress and keep everybody pulling in the same direction, but there is no single output that is a good proxy for gauging our productivity. We don't generate revenues and there is no easily identified dollar value assigned to what we do. I've never even heard of any real monetary value allocated to our activity in the seven plus years that I've been working in the labs. That means I have to come up with something novel.

While awkward, I feel like these categories capture the essence of what my team is trying to accomplish. We tend to think about our activities in terms of the process needed to complete the task rather than the underlying purpose of doing the task in the first place. That orientation biases us towards the mechanics of the task. We worry about the steps that need to be taken rather The process generates data, but to complete the task we need to understand the data.  My categories are intended to remind people that we're not generating data. We're generating knowledge.


No comments:

Post a Comment