Sunday, December 29, 2013

And not Or

The answer to my question about whether I'll be judged on project progression or people performance missed the mark. Well, maybe not entirely, but it was far enough off that I feel like I need to redirect myself on this point. This is not an either or question. I'll be judged on BOTH projects and people. It took me reading this to see that obvious truth. No amount of people development will make up for missing a deadline on a project. On the other hand, stellar project performance will likely eclipse poor leadership. While I may not see this as the best way for the organization to proceed, I need to recognize that this is the reality of my situation and adjust my focus accordingly.

I have come up with a way to address the needs of the projects in a way that respects every task that my team will need to perform. I don't care if the organization doesn't put much stock in leadership. I am going to lead my team in a manner that I feel will allow everybody to maximize their contribution to our efforts. They'll do more to progress projects if they see the value rather than needing me to push them all the time. There is a history in the organization of the more routine tasks being of lesser value than solving problems or developing new capabilities. I finally found a way to discuss these activities in a way that emphasizes the value of both without making one task subservient or less valuable than the other. The point of my struggle was to get everybody on my team to see that they add value. Every task is important. I want my language and approach to leading the team to reflect that view. I have that in hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment