Thursday, December 19, 2013

Seek and destroy

There should be a bit of a rebel in every leader. Or maybe it's better to say that there is a touch of rebellion in the actions of a leader. I'm probably just reacting to the overly aggressive actions of Bryan. Bryan, like me, has recently been promoted to a manager position. I've heard that he has already concocted plans that he thinks will get him in good favor with our boss. I can already sense that I may have to counter some of those plans. His schemes will not limit my ability to lead my team.

While some of Bryan's plans may make things more complicated for me (those ever present office politics), it's interesting to see how somebody who has clearly decided to focus on projects is pursuing power and status. For him, controlling the group's approach to projects is the key to winning our boss's favor. He has taken the initiative to make a list of all the projects in the different groups. I'm sure the next step will be to decide which projects will be handled by which team. (I'm sure he'll call them groups, but I will just keep referring to my group as my team.) He's just trying to fit the old system into the new organization. Its just part of his plan to fit himself into whatever mold will get him promoted again.

Refusing to accept that mold and finding a new way to lead our teams, a way that our boss hasn't thought of, is how I intend to keep progressing in the organization. I think out boss wants to see how we'll operate on our own. I've thought about going to him to get a sense for what he expects and what he wants, but he wasn't very forthcoming when I tried to get him to address that subject in our first couple of conversations. I was confused by that for a bit, but then I realized that he wants to see what I'll do on my own. That's a comforting insight. There is no pressure to conform. There is freedom for me to figure out the best way for me to move forward in the manner that feels best for me. I have no interest in perpetuating the old way of working. My mantra going forward will be does it have to be this way? I intend to get my team to question as many of their assumptions as I can. It's not about being confrontational or nihilistic. It's about getting people to see old things in a new way. I just want them to see possibilities where they currently see limitations. They shouldn't just accept the system, but seek it's gradual destruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment