Thursday, December 30, 2021

2022 - a look ahead

The year kicks off with a bang as I will be attempting the WDW
Marathon. This will be my third marathon. I am significantly untrained
and unprepared for the distance. I barely did a half today and I was
struggling at the end. There will be lots of walking. The primary goal
of signing up has been realized, I'm back to double digit training
runs, but I will consider the entire thing a failure if I don't finish
the race.

Regardless of whether or not I will have a new runDisney medal after
the marathon, I plan on using the momentum of my training effort to
keep up the double digit runs. I'm going to revive the run 1000 miles
goal. Reaching this distance will require an average of 20 miles a
week. Two 5 mile runs during the week and a weekend 10 miler will get
me there. I've been doing this for my marathon training so this is
realistic. The challenge will be getting in the long run on weekends
that I'm not in Florida. Or I could just bump up the distance on other
weeks to cover the lost miles. We'll see. I just want to maintain a
consistent cadence of long runs. I'm not planning for any races. If
something fits into the family schedule, so be it, but races will not
be a priority.

I will keep lifting. I want to be more intentional about doing lower
body and core exercises. I've been doing the lifts I enjoy just to
keep me moving and to get the emotional benefits of lifting. The
Crossfit workouts have exposed the weakness of my lower body. Getting
my legs and core stronger will benefit me now and well into the
future. Air squats and occasional lunges will get me going down that
path. I will add in more as it makes sense over the course of the
year. I will be adding in my daily ab work as well. That fell off a
cliff once COViD started. TIme to get it going again.

The danger of the Book Shelf Zero project is that I feel like a
failure if my to be read pile doesn't get smaller every year. I still
feel it's a worthy goal, but I need to figure out a way to cleanse it
of the negative energy that is growing around it. I bought a bunch of
books at the end of the year. My total is up to 169. I'm close to
finishing a Drizzt book so it will be down to 168 in the next day or
two. I've already decided to set prioritize reading for at least 30
minutes every evening. The trick of getting this habit to stick will
be selecting pleasant to read books for the first couple of months. I
need to find the books in my library that fits this specification and
stick to those, but still celebrate every book that I read. My book
list projects are nice in that they are static. The lists don't get
longer. I read books from each list this year. I own many books from
all three of them so I will de facto make progress on them if I am
reading books I own.

No comments:

Post a Comment