Tuesday, January 12, 2010

12Jan - Shrinking the mid-section

I read in a magazine that the ideal waist size is half of your height. I'm 6'2" so my waist should be 37 inches. My waist (as measured at my belly button) is a little over 40 inches. I have no idea what my weight will be if I manage to get rid of my spare tire, so I thought it would be better to focus on what I want to achieve rather than picking some arbitrary number to lose (like 20 pounds) or reach a magic weight (190? I have no idea). I'm about 220 (at least on our new digital scale, I was a little over 210 on our old analog one) now. We'll see how my weight changes as I lose fat.

I've been using the Spartacus workout published in Men's Health as my weight lose exercise. That workout lead to my resolution to send in my "after" picture for the Spartacus challenge. I signed up for the motivational aspect of the challenge. I submitted a before picture. I didn't want to not submit an after picture or have an after picture that could pass for a before photo. The first time I tried the workout I could barely make it through one cycle. I've been doing it for a few weeks and I managed to do two cycles last night with a little more rest than recommended in the instructions. Cardio has never been my thing so I like the approach of using intense weight training as a fat burning workout.

After I finish the workout, I walk on our treadmill for 15 minutes or so to take advantage of my heightened metabolic activity. I usually watch a DVD, but I'm between Netflix deliveries (The Hangover will be delivered tomorrow). I read while I was walking. It was a decent arrangement. If I get behind on my quest to read 16 books, I'll start using that treadmill time to get a few more pages read in whatever book is the easiest for me to read while walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment