Friday, February 19, 2010

Books and Blogs

As my frequent mention of books suggests, I have a thing for books. When I say books, I don't just meaning reading material, I mean that I have a thing for the physical object that is a book. I'm not one of these crazy book collector types, but I like owning a book. I don't have a desire to get a Kindle or Nook, and until recently I was never really curious about blogs. My discovery of blogs started when my grad school adviser told me about In the Pipeline, a blog about the pharma industry. That blog prompted me to try Google Reader (I set up my Reader to give me the feed from the Journal of the American Chemical Society). My law school application process got me a little deeper into following blogs.

I have since discovered Seth Godin, Dan Pink, and some other interesting feeds. My cumulative reading of these blogs provides just as much (or more) insight and information than my beloved books. They are a nice compliment to books. They are free, informative, and extremely diverse.

I enjoy keeping my own blogs. I would love to write about things that relate more closely to my career, but most of my day to day stuff is proprietary so I can't just start blogging about it. It's just as well, who really wants to hear about the struggles of a pharmaceutical industry product development scientist trying to figure out how to do chemometrics analysis or the challenges of validating new HPLC methods. Probably just as many people who want to read about my New Year's Resolutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment