Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Four books bought by Vday

Rather than dropping the cash for Seth Godin's new book at Barnes and Noble, I decided to order it from Amazon for something like 60% off the cover price. To make the savings meaningful, I had to get $25 of stuff to get free shipping. I was about to just give up the few extra dollars to buy the book at a store rather than paying for more books (and eat away at my quota of book buying for the year), but I found one of the Flashman books on clearance. I just can't pass that up. I'm going to buy the book, I might as well get it cheap. So now I'm at something like $16. I need one more book. What to get? I looked at some of the popular business books of the moment. Drive, Switch, The War of Art, they all look interesting, but I get the feeling that the description of the book tells me pretty much all that I need to know about each one without reading the whole thing. I went to the personal MBA reading list to find something interesting. I ended up getting a collection of Peter Drucker's writing. I like what I've read by him in the past.

So that one order, plus my purchase of Hyperion back in January, brings me up to 4 titles purchased this year. I went several months without buying a book a couple of years ago when I decided that I was going to read 10 books that I already owned before I bought anything new. I guess I'll have to do that again. It wouldn't be so bad if I was finishing more books. I read Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion (which I bought at a library book sale years ago), but I haven't really made much progress on anything since finishing The Fall. Time to get moving before I fall too far behind the pace I need to keep to reach 16 (it won't take me long to make it through Godin's book).

No comments:

Post a Comment