Saturday, March 13, 2010

More challenging = More effort?

At least that's what Edwin Locke and Gary Latham have found over 35 years of research in improving motivation in different organizations. A challenging goal results in greater effort than merely telling somebody to do their best. Goals direct attention toward goal related activities and away from activities that are not relevant to goals, they have an energizing function, they affect persistence, and they affect action by indirectly leading to the arousal, discovery, and/or use of task-relevant knowledge and strategies. The review paper I read talked about how motivated the person is to achieve the goal and some other moderating factors that can have a role in how hard somebody goes after a particular goal.

I set my resolutions toward things that I thought I could achieve. Maybe I should have aimed a little higher. It's something to think about as I work on how I'm going to take the next step in my career and how my reading activities will impact that strategy.

The paper I'm talking about can be accessed at this blog post. The paper is in the A far reaching review link.

No comments:

Post a Comment