Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Pursuits of a Spiky Fox

I have made it through a couple more books in the last couple of weeks. It took me about a week to read each one so I'm not far off of the book a week pace that some others are pursuing. The fact that both of these books, Thermopylae and Madame Bovary, are on the thin side was key to my staying on that weekly pace. I'm borrowing Notes on the Synthesis of Form (the book I mentioned at the end of my Blue Ocean Strategy post) from the VCU library. I thought it might be a bit ponderous to get through, but it's actually a quick read (at least the first couple of chapters). While pharmaceuticals may not be the first thing that comes to your mind when you think about reading a book about design, the ideas in the book are applicable to some of the problems that I face (well, will very likely be facing if my department's reorganization goes as I expect) in my projects at work. It's a good fit for my spiny fox strategy to pursue interesting ideas that are tangential but relevant to my area(s) of expertise (pharmaceuticals/chemistry/scientific research).

No comments:

Post a Comment