Monday, July 5, 2010

Concept 2

I've used the Concept 2 at the gym a few more times. Every time I use it, I get a little bit faster. Seeing that I can only get to the gym on the weekends, I started thinking about ways to improve my stamina and power using other types of workouts to get faster even though I'm not actually on the machine. It didn't take me long to realize that the Spartacus workout is a good place to start. If I do it as prescribed, I will get plenty of work on improving my explosivity while improving my cardiovascular fitness. Based on the workout I did today, I'm right around the 25th percentile of the online rankings for my age and weight for just about every distance up to 5000 meters. With a little bit of focus and effort, I think I can get to the average time for each distance in a few weeks.

I've always been intrigued by the Concept 2 because there are detailed rankings online. I have no idea how far I could get up the rankings, but having a scale to measure my performance against is a solid motivator. Anything that gets to my competitive nature will help me get out in the garage to workout. Running never did it for me because I am such a pathetic distance runner. I knew that I would never be that competitive as a runner. This rowing thing seems much more up my alley.

Besides the desire to drop some inches from my waist, I read an article in Men's Health that has got me thinking about my resting heart rate. Currently, my resting heart rate is a little below 60 beats per minute. That's alright, but I would like to get it down a few more beats per minute. That will require getting out in the garage and actually working on more than one or two nights a week. We'll see if this desire to get faster on the Concept 2 gets me back in the garage.

No comments:

Post a Comment