Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Rising to the Challenge

I just finished working out. I tried to get on the computer to write this post as quickly as possible in an effort to simulate what going straight from a workout to hitting the books will be like. I took on the Spartacus Workout and managed to get through two cycles. That's about the hardest workout I can manage here at home. Oscar's post about his week at a martial arts camp reminded me that I need to push beyond my comfort level if I'm going to lower my 1000 m time on the rowing machine or get rid of my gut. Pushing past my limits is the only way to make meaningful progress. Why take the time to workout if I'm not going to push myself hard enough to get anything out of it. With that idea in mind, I kept pushing when I felt like sitting on the steps and calling it a night.

I need to get in the habit of staying on task when I would rather be doing something else. The class schedules and the associated text books are pretty easy to find on the Marist website. I have decided to take Management and Finance over Accounting and Analytical Tools. (I'll register as soon as I get my login and password.) Almost the entire first chapter of the Finance textbook is available as a preview on Amazon. I took a look at it last night to get a feel for what I'll be up against. The content of the book was not overly intimidating, but I could feel the heft of the book through my internet browser. It's almost 1000 pages. Throw in the supplemental materials online, and I'm looking at well over 1000 pages. And that's just one class.

In reading through the online preview, I found myself approaching the text like I did as an undergrad. While that approach would likely get me through the class, I want more from these classes than a grade. The whole point of taking on this challenge is to open opportunities for my career. My last month at work has been spent on a research project that is not directly linked to the development of a new product. The deeper I get into the project, the more I think my group should be focused on similar problems and projects. I know there is value in this kind of work. Taking the time to understand what we're doing could result in a much improved product development process. Top science talent will flock to a lab that allows them to pursue problems that push their research abilities. There is value in taking on hard problems. Rather than simply absorb and purge the content of my MBA classes, I plan on using what I learn in my studies to help me design a business plan for my vision of a research facility. Finding a way to make my vision a reality is far more engaging than trudging through a thick textbook so I can answer questions on an exam.

Keeping things moving in my career, staying involved with my family, lowering my 1000 m time on the rowing machine, and working hard in my MBA classes is going to require plenty of hustle on my part. I want the challenge. It may mean that I don't get to watch much football this season and I may have to skip watching Survivor or the Amazing Race. I know that I need to find that next level of performance to take my career to the next level. Doing this right will require me to push past my limits to find a higher performance level.

No comments:

Post a Comment