Sunday, January 16, 2011

Great-great-great

My mom showed me a picture of her mother's grandmother. That would be my great-great-great-grandmother. Her name was Mary Jane Swindler. She looks like she's in her early 20's in the picture. My great-grandmother was born in 1902 or 1903 so I'm guessing the picture was taken right around the turn of last century. Seeing one of my relatives from that long ago was a very odd experience. I've often wondered how my family came to the states and what they did once they got here. The picture looks refined so I'm guessing there was some money in the family. My mom was telling me that the family owned a bunch of land. I guess that was the origin of their wealth.

Based on a quick internet search, it looks like the Swindlers were in northwest Ohio since the middle of the 1850's at least. That's good information on one side of my family. My great-grandmother lived into her 90's so I have many memories of her. I'm glad that I have the most information on her family rather than some other random relative.

No comments:

Post a Comment