Sunday, May 22, 2011

Who needs a classroom?

Amid all my career crises and angst, I've continued to plug away at my online MBA classes at Marist College. My participation in this program has complicated my planning around making a change in my career as I will have to payback the tuition reimbursement if I leave PCH. That factor has made me question whether or not I should keep participating in the program, but whatever direction my MBA studies take, my foray into online learning has lowered my barrier to resisting other education venues that are popping up on the internet.

I recently began listening to the entrepreneurial talks given at Stanford that are readily accessible as podcasts. Besides giving me the opportunity to fulfill a youthful ambition to attend Stanford (that was target school in high school), the talks have been uniformly informative and well done. I tend to prefer the talks given by professors more than those given by actual entrepreneurs, but I guess that's not surprising given my academic biases. I downloaded a couple of talks from MIT onto my iPod this afternoon. (I've added links to the school's resources, but I actually found the lectures through iTunes.) It seems like a waste to leave the insights and knowledge shared in these talks just laying around. They're also a great way to increase bulk positive randomness. Who knows when an idea I pick up in these talks could provide the key I need to solve a tricky problem.

If I was not getting ready to bury myself in accounting for 8 weeks, I would seriously consider trying to take an actual class that has been posted online for anybody to take at their leisure. (Isn't this supposed to be the ticket to a world class education pretty soon?) My inability to grasp linear algebra has made if very difficult for me to understand the mathematics behind a data analysis technique that I've managed to implement at work. Could this class be my ticket to a linear algebra breakthrough? I would like to try, but it will have to wait until I've finished accounting.

No comments:

Post a Comment