Thursday, August 6, 2015

This is my chance to finally make a difference

I spent the week before my vacation questioning what I was doing at work. Bored, listless, unmotivated; these are not optimal states. Yet another exploration into what I really wanted out of life was in the offing. I imagined taking this deep plunge into my values to see what I could find. I usually talked myself into doing something work related rather than conduct this largely useless and most likely fruitless mental exercise. Thinking about what matters to me and coming up with a plan to get more engaged with my work wasn't going to do much. I have to actually do something to make a change.

Or other people in my organization can decide to flip the business upside down and make those changes for me. That's what happening now. The actual details of the change have not been shared, but reading between the lines has given me a pretty good sense of what is coming. This is a pivotal moment. The principled part of me wants to stomp its figurative foot and pout about the de-emphasis in the science. The careerist part of me sees the opportunity in this change. This plan is meant to be a paradigm shift in how we do business. People will work hard to keep things from changing too much. They will go back to other organizational plans that were similar and use that anchor to keep things from being too different.

I've been looking for ways to influence and change the organization for years. The biggest obstacle that I've faced in making a difference is the blockade of seniority that resists big changes. That big change is here. This is my chance. I have to take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment