Monday, May 31, 2010

An experiment in learning; an online MBA

I am going to get my MBA online. Why wouldn't I get my degree this way? One of my biggest conflicts about the degree was the time it would take from my family. I don't want to spend a couple nights a week at some class. I also wasn't sure that the two schools that I have to choose from would be the right fit for my degree objectives. Those issues are out the window with the online option. There are plenty of options for online programs at accredited schools that do not have TV commercials or their name on a football stadium. I can find a program that fits my needs at a price that I can handle (University of Nebraska has taken the early lead in my limited investigation of the available programs). Besides, sitting in class was the worst part of getting my graduate degree. Taking a class in an environment of my choosing has its appeal.

Aside from the practical concerns, there is an element of experimentation that I like. I can teach myself new material reasonably well. Maybe this type of instruction will suit my learning style better than a traditional class. As much as the internet is used to coordinate activities in my job, especially with other sites, taking classes online and seeing how well different types of information can be conveyed effectively online could be a very beneficial experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment