Thursday, May 27, 2010

Sticking with it

Where would my physical fitness be if I had stuck with the Spartacus workout? What if I had stuck with my regular workouts rather than focusing my energy on the LSAT last February? Would I need this resolution to get my waist to half my height? What would happen if I consistently worked out for 6 months? I'm going to try to find out. Getting a good view of my gut while I was trying on my new shirt last week reminded me that I have not made much progress on this resolution. I have lost a few pounds since the New Year, but I'm still a couple of inches from my goal. There is still time to make a difference.

I'm going to be realistic in my workout goals. I want to workout four to five times a week. I am not a big fan of working out on the weekends (Friday and Saturday) and I would like a day or two each week to skip a workout if I'm really into whatever book I'm reading or to do a little preparation for the GMAT (with law school out of the picture, I need to do something else to get a credential that will give me non-research career options).

A bigger challenge than working out is controlling what I eat. If I have a decent DVD to watch, getting out on the treadmill for 30 minutes or so isn't a big deal (I watched the first part of The Transporter tonight). Controlling my diet over the weekends is a much bigger challenge. Big breakfasts, too much snacking, and a few beers add up over the weekend. If I can get those habits under control, I should start making some progress. We're pretty active on the weekends during the summer, but that activity will go much farther if I'm not stuffing my face all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment