Thursday, April 21, 2011

10,000 hours...again

The 10,000 hours required to reach expertise has popped up on my radar again. I agree with Vox Day that Gladwell's books leave something to be desired (I found The Tipping Point full of promise but totally empty on fulfillment), but he's wrong about the 10,000 hours to becoming an expert. It's not Gladwell's idea. He just wrote about it. This guy Dan, has done his research on Ericsson and his research on achieving elite performance. He has a coach, that's key to achieving expertise, at least in the papers that I've read, and he's engaging in deliberate practice rather than simply hitting balls at a driving range for hours on end. I would not be the least bit surprised if he's a pro at the end of his experiment.

Looking back at my own experience, I can see the impact of expert guidance and deliberate practice. I try to apply those principles in my life and my career. I wish Dan the best of luck. I've added his blog to my Google Reader account so I can keep tabs on his progress. Good luck, Dan.

No comments:

Post a Comment