Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Taking off the Blinders

Now I've done it. I responded to a call for resumes that was posted by one of my contacts on LinkedIn. It was an easy way to take action on my employment situation dissatisfaction. I emailed the recruiter my resume on Tuesday night. I got a call from their office on Wednesday afternoon. My dissatisfaction, and the reasons why I'm unhappy, became starker the longer I spent on the phone. This is not just a rut or being bored with my current assignment. I'm getting very close to an existential career crisis. I'm not working on important projects (at least not as I define important), and my long term career options are extremely limited. There are very few opportunities for me to push my abilities and achieve important results.

Based on a phone interview I had with a hiring manager this afternoon, this new position has the potential to remedy many of my existential issues. I only have a vague idea of what the job would actually require of me on a daily basis, but I'm intrigued enough by the possibilities that I am going to keep pursuing it. The general theme of the hiring group would allow me to pursue an aspect of the pharma industry that I've considered as a focus for my career as I shift away from the lab. This, coupled with the potential that I could be part of a problem-solving manufacturing special forces type of group, could make passing on this position a painful process.

Why would I pass if the job could be so great? Accepting the position would require a big move to a place that does not meet certain criteria established by the wife.  Besides, just thinking about what a big move would entail has already been giving me stress. I know that there is a move somewhere in my future. THis might not be the ideal time logistically, but would it be better to sit around and wait for circumstances to force me into taking any job that I can find? I sense that I will need to grapple with these issues soon enough...

No comments:

Post a Comment