Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Giving it Away

I've been trying to get some perspective on my recent discoveries from the psychology literature. This is the best passage that I have been able to locate so far:

"The finding that those low on Surgency (note: that's just a fancy word for extraversion) tend to use Debasement (e.g., lowering self to get others to do something), for example, supports [the] conceptual proposition that submissiveness involves denying status to the self. Combined with finding that those high in Surgency tend to be somewhat condescending..., these results yield compelling support for the notion that status allocation is a central psychological ingredient in this major personality factor." (reference here)

Status allocation? So I've been denying myself status for all of these years? I made the choice to occupy lower status positions? Why do I have a drive to defer? What would happen if I decided that I didn't want to be the lap dog?

No comments:

Post a Comment